Assignment 1: Tough Conversations
Due Week 3 and worth 150 points
Imagine you are the HR manager at a company. A female employee came to you upset because she felt a male coworker was creating a hostile work environment by repeatedly asking her out on dates even after she said “no”. What would you do? (If you haven’t been exposed to having these types of conversations speak to your manager or someone who is familiar in addressing tough conversations.)
Write a plan for how you would approach your conversation with each employee, including the most essential topics to cover. As you write your plan, think about what your goals are for this situation, and how each conversation will help you achieve those goals.
Write a five to seven (5-7) paragraph paper in which you:
- Write a plan for the conversation you would have with the employee, based on the concepts found in your textbook. What are the most important points you would need to cover in this conversation, and why?
- Write a plan for the conversation you would have with the employee’s male co-worker, based on the concepts found in your textbook. What are the most important points you would need to cover in this conversation, and why?
- Format your assignment according to the following formatting requirements:
- This course requires use of Strayer Writing Standards (SWS). Please take a moment to review the SWS documentation for details.
- Include at least 1 reference to support your paper.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Create a plan for approaching tough conversations with employees, including a rationale for the most essential topics to cover.
You can view the rubric for this assignment here.