Select a material and perform a life-cycle assessment of it addressing each phase, considering the environmental and health impacts of the process. Some companies have life-cycle assessments for their products (which you may use for reference), though for this assignment you are encouraged to develop your own and begin to think about impacts at every level. You will be best off to select a generic material (marble cladding, oak flooring, polyurethane upholstery) as opposed to a specific name-brand product from a supplier. The Quartz Project will be a good place to start, though you are encouraged to find other sources and conduct your own inquiries. Areas of impact may include:
- Climate change
- Ozone depletion
- Depletion of natural resources (habitat, water, fossil fuels, minerals, biological resources)
- Human toxicity
The following graphic can be used as a guide, noting transportation between each step.
Assignment format: 5 + 5
- Approximately 5 images
- Approximately 5 short paragraphs
- Combine writing and images in a visually compelling way. The images should help support whatever it is you are writing about
- Images can be photographs, drawings, sketches, illustrations, renderings, diagrams, any sort of visual component to aid your story.
- Save and submit as a reduced file size PDF.
Please select one consistent method of citing your sources (APA, MLA, Chicago).
Assignments that consist solely of text directly copied and pasted from other sources without citation will receive a zero. Plagiarism is a violation of university policy. It is very important, even if English is not your first language, that assignments be in your own words and express your own perspective on the topics. You will not be graded on spelling and grammar, but on the ideas you discuss, and if they address the objective of the assignment.