All health care organizations must be aware of cost controls, regardless of nonprofit or for-profit status. Managing costs at all levels of the organization affects the bottom line, which has a direct effect on all aspects of the organization. This assignment is designed to help you analyze why organizational policies are put in place.
Find a policy at a health care organization related to cost controls.
Summarize the details of the policy:
- When was the policy put in place?
- Was it adopted system-wide, in one department, or multiple departments?
- What does the policy address?
- What are potential ramifications of not following the policy at the organizational level? Unit level? Individual level?
Explain how the policy impacts fiscal aspects of the organization:
- How does the policy act as a cost control?
Describe how the policy impacts the quality of patient care:
- Does the policy improve efficiency?
- Are the goals to improve care and reduce cost?
Explore the unintended consequences:
- What secondary affects does the policy have on the organization? Unit? Staff? Patient?
- Does the policy need revision?
Suggest alternatives to the policy:
- In your opinion, is the policy the best way to address the issue? Support your position by explaining why or why not.
Cite at least three peer-reviewed sources published within the last five years in an APA-formatted reference page.
Format your assignment as one of the following:
- 18- to 20-slide presentation
- 3- to 4-minute podcast
- 15- to 20-minute oral presentation
- 875-word paper
- Another format approved by your instructor