In writing the literature review, the purpose is to convey to the reader what knowledge and ideas have been established on a topic, and what their strengths and weaknesses are. The literature review must be defined by a guiding concept. It is not just a descriptive list of the material available, or a set of summaries*
Each student must provide a literature review of relevant research on Hirschi and Gottfredson’s General Theory of Crime (Self-control theory). The following 2 articles MUST be incorporated into your review. You may choose one additional scholarly article using databases (Sage, Proquest, SocIndex):
- Article #1: Sexual Harassment Victimization During Emerging Adulthood
- Article #2: Self-control and perceived behavioral control: An examination of college student drinking
- (will attach below)
Literature Review Guidelines:
- The literature review should be 5 pages in length and include an APA title and references page (7 total pages).
- Minimum of 3 scholarly sources must be included. I will provide 2 of the sources to be used and you will research the last one using databases.
- Paper structure:
- Intro paragraph that clearly explains the theory and your ‘guiding concept’ (narrow scope) ; clear thesis included
- Review which makes it clear that you have read, evaluated and analyzed the research articles, and relationships and/or gaps between the literature are identified and articulated.
- Succinct concluding statements which summarize the review in its entirety.
- You will use a lot of paraphrasing in this paper. Always cite the author (in-text or parenthetical) when you paraphrase them. See the Orientation for more help on this.
- No more than 5 one-sentence direct quotes can be used in this paper.
- Use APA guidelines for formatting and referencing.
- Demonstrate grade-level writing conventions
I have attached a sample literature review…….