In their essays, “The Meanings of a Word” and “Being a Chink”, Gloria Naylor and Christine Leong describe their personal experiences with race growing up in the United States. Although their essays are personal, they can be considered universal for many people like Naylor and Leong because they are describing life in a society that is not inclusive and not color blind.
Using Naylor’s and Leong’s essays and the posted videos, answer the following question in an essay of minimum 1500 words:
How important is the topic of race in the United States today in 2018?
- Support your point of view with examples from Naylor’s and Leong’s essays and information from the posted videos.
- Use at least 4 in-text citations–2 from the readings and 2 from one of the posted videos. You may not use other outside sources. The format for a video clip citation and its corresponding in-text citation format are below.
- Include a Works Cited list for your citations.
- Upload your completed essay as a .docx or .pdf only, not Google pages.
- The grading rubric indicates minimum page number and other requirements.
The citations for the posted videos will all follow the pattern of an “Online Video Clip” [The Everyday Writer pg. 500 #56]:
The New York Times. “A Conversation with Latinos on Race.” YouTube, 7 March 2016, www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLLCHbCgJbM
All of the videos will follow the same pattern. They may have different titles, publication dates, and of course different URLs, but everything else is the same.
When you cite from the videos, you will use the titles slightly abbreviated because they are long titles.
You will use the main key words from the titles and cut off the end in the parenthetical citations. For example:
(“A Conversation with Latinos”)
MUST BE MLA 8 PLEASE EVERYTHING SHOULD BE WRITE THE FONT, THE NAME FORMAT, THE DOUBEL SPACE….
I’M GOING TO ATTACH THE READINGS
LET ME KNOW IF YOU NEED SOMETHING ELSE PLEASE