Annotating and Note Taking Assignment
For this assignment, you need to select pages from a textbook or article, read and annotate the pages, and then create a set of notes based on the material you read and annotated.
Step 1: Review the marking (annotating) strategies from Chapter 6 (pp. 134-135).
Step 2: Select three-four consecutive pages from one of your college textbooks OR select the article below. Print a copy of your selected textbook pages or article.
- 5 Characteristics of Grit: How Many Do You Have?[If you select this article (4 pages), you will need to annotate all 4 pages.] Click
Step 3: Read and annotate your selected textbook pages or article. Your annotations may be handwritten, typed, or electronically produced. Annotations could include underlining or highlighting along with other annotations. Highlights should not exceed 10-15% of your page. You may choose to color code as you annotate. Keep in mind that underlining and highlighting are not enough. Other annotations are required; choose from:
- summarizing or paraphrasing in the margins
- identifying key terms
- defining unknown terms
- jotting down questions that occur to you as you read
- jotting down your reactions to the material
- adding explanations or elaboration
- providing additional examples